Monday, September 05, 2005

Stick Finlays

I've received a whole load of CDs over the weekend and all worthy of mention. One or two will get fuller reviews on the main site but I'll mention each one in this blog.

Firstly, Stick Finlays with their debut album Progress On Paper. I note with interst that they are from Jedburgh in the Scottish borders near where my ancestral homelands are (Home clan). Perhaps I'm in for a bit of Scottish folk music? No, thankfuly they play a form of post-grunge that is heavily guitar based and they make a very nice noise.

I'm one of those pedants who is a bit disappointed when a band don't allow their local roots to show but I shouldn't complain really (one of my favourite American rock CDs was from a band from Darlington). The CD could have come from Seattle or the East Coast but wherever it comes from, it's a very accomplished piece of rock music. Tight, as only a three piece can be and full of energy.

I've bought about 3 CDs in the past 3 years and it's because of being sent music like this - you can keep your Foo Fighters, Green Day, Pearl Jam - I've got Stick Finlays to keep my blood flowing.

Stick Finlays website

Stick Finlays review on Cool Noise

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home