Friday, December 02, 2005

The Leano

I just opened the mailbox and found a CD. By The Leano and called Steps To Leanoland it was obvious before I put the CD on that it was from the world of rap - and, of course I only listen to skinny white boys with guitars (apart from my nostalgic tendencies that leads to fat white man rock and the occasional synth). My heart sank, this would be well outside of my experience.

But, I have to say that this album is magnificent. I've only stepped outside of my limited taste a few times over the past 20 years. The Leano combines so much of what I have enjoyed in Rap, reggae, and poetry. With the Ganjaholic track, he even introduces some of the reality that Partik Fitzgerald exposed in the punk days.

I'm writing this as I listen and there are some real gems such as Messing With My Mind (Love Tune Pt 2). It's the sheer intelligence and clarity of every line of lyrics that means it can be assessed as poetry and when you add in the beats and the melodic voice, well it's breathtaking.

Forget what you know about Rap and the posturing, The Leano deals with insecurities and has a hold on reality that goes beyond the punk days. When he talks about passion, sex or sitting on the toilet seat (yes really) he deals with the univeral male experience. Genre-busting and inspirational.


The Leano

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home