Thursday, May 04, 2006

Going To Gigs

I don't do many gigs these days but I always had a set of rules/guidelines for them.

Select gig:
Simple rule, avoid all venues where you are seated. Can occasionally be broken for really special occasions such as Van Der Graaf Generator (after all most of their fans are over 50 and need to sit down). Avoid ALL festivals. Avoid Arenas as those bands are big enough that they don't need your support any more and the sound is terrible.

Nutritional advice:
Eat a light meal. Just enough to stave off the hunger but not so much that you will feel a leaden weight in your stomach for the evening. Now you have room for a beer or two before you leave the house.

Soundtrack:
There's no harm in brushing up on the music of the band you are going to see but not the latest album because you are about to hear that reinterpreted. If you need to get in a lively mood then The Stooges first album or Raw Power has never yet failed.

Select Clothing:
Easy - jeans and some kind of jacket. But the important thing is which t-shirt to wear. For some reason I don't know it shouldn't be a plain t-shirt. It has to be one that is music related in some way. The important thing is that it should not be a t-shirt of the Band you are going to see but it should be kind of related. So, if it was Nirvana you were seeing, a Pixies t-shirt was suitable. If it was Swell Maps, then a home-made Desperate Bicycles shirt.

Pre-gig Drinks
Go to the venue first and check on the door about running times. I am assuming that you don't want to see the support bands. Get to the nearest pub that serves decent beer and have a few. Aim to arrive about three songs from the end of the last support band - just so you can check them out and figure out if they would be worth seeing in their own right. If you do want to see the support bands then prepare to suffer tasteless beer in plastic mugs.

I noticed while reading live reviews the other day that RoadMutha has a very different set of considerations (getting ready for Snow Patrol in this post):

"I managed to persuade my doctor to give me an intermuscular injection as opposed to the usual drip today and then I was hoping and praying that the effects of chemo would not kick in until this night was over"

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm with you on most the rules... except I like to see the cover bands.. besides 9 times out of 10 it will be the last time you see them anyway ;).

Hey what size t-shirt do you wear? I think I have just the thing.

K

2:50 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home