Monday, May 15, 2006

Nostalgia part 4: Solar Race

This is entirely due to The Ghosts that I have returned to listening to Solar Race. Their Hoodoo Voodoo track reminded just how good a female fronted punk band can be. So many alternative bands try to use a female singer with a melodic voice - and end up with a pastiche of pop music like The Primitives (no fun in my sun! what a lyric). But, for me, there is nothing like an angry woman shouting and screaming. I do have a penchant for the shouting to be done in the German language, but I'd better keep quiet about that.

I knew nothing about Solar Race. They don't even feature on allmusic.com. However, I somehow acquired their Homespun album in 1997. With Solar Race, it was pure, beautiful, inspirational anger (and lots of loud guitar as well. I'm sure The Ghosts will appreciate that they were from Salford and therefore check them out. There's a glorious legacy to be explored.

(edited, now that I have found at least one of the Solar Race members on MySpace)

Solar Race on MySpace

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home